[CS] Fwd: CHANGES TO THESE EVENTS: Visiting British scholar activists this week

Paula Harmon pharmon at hampshire.edu
Wed Mar 27 14:58:40 EDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	CHANGES TO THESE EVENTS: Visiting British scholar activists
this week
Date: 	Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:46:52 -0400
From: 	Natane Halasz <nhalasz at hampshire.edu>

Due to totally unexpected travel problems beyond their control, we
regret that the visiting scholar activists will not be coming to
Hampshire College this week. We hope to reschedule their visits in the
future.
_HOWEVER, both events will proceed WITHOUT the visitors:_

 1. Hampshire faculty will lead a discussion related to Vron Ware's
    feminist work at *5.30pm on Thursday, March 28th at The Center for
    Feminisms* (light refreshments)
 2. Video clips sent by Paul Gilroy will be screened at *4pm on Friday,
    March 29th at The Cultural Center *(light refreshments)

We apologize for the change of plans, and hope many will still join us.

Natane Halasz
Administrative Assistant
School for Interdisciplinary Arts
nhalasz at hampshire.edu
(T) 413.559.5824
(F) 413.559.5247
www.hampshire.edu/academics/index_ia.htm
www.facebook.com/SchoolForInterdisciplinaryArtsAtHampshireCollege

On 3/25/2013 10:11 AM, Natane Halasz wrote:
> [...]
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Studies> and Black Atlantic
> diasporic culture with interests in the "myriad manifestations of
> black British
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_British> culture, his works
> include: /The Empire Strikes Back - Race and Racism in '70s Britain/;
> /There Ain't No Black In the Union Jack: The Cultural Politics of Race
> and Nation/; /The Black Atlantic: Modernity and Double Consciousness/;
> /Against Race: Imagining Political Culture Beyond the Color Line/
> <http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674006690>, /After
> Empire: Multiculture or Postcolonial Melancholia/; /Black Britain - A
> Photographic History/ ; "Darker Than Blue: On The Moral Economies of
> Black Atlantic Culture
> <http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674060234>"
>
> Paul taught at South Bank University
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bank_University>, Essex University
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_University> and then Goldsmiths
> College
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldsmiths_College,_University_of_London> for
> many years before leaving London to become chair of the Department of
> African American Studies and Charlotte Marian Saden Professor of
> Sociology and African American Studies at Yale University
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_University>,. He was first holder
> of the Anthony Giddens
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Giddens> Professorship in Social
> Theory at the London School of Economics
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_School_of_Economics> before he
> joinedKing's College London
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_College_London> last September.
> Heis known as a path-breaking scholar and historian of the music of
> the Black Atlantic diaspora <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora>,
> as a commentator on the politics of race, nation and racism
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism> in the UK, and as an
> archaeologist of the literary and cultural lives of blacks in the
> western hemisphere. According to the US /Journal of Blacks in Higher
> Education/
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Journal_of_Blacks_in_Higher_Education&action=edit&redlink=1> he
> has been consistently among the most frequently cited black scholars
> in the humanities and social sciences. Gilroy's theories of race,
> racism and culture were influential in shaping the cultural and
> political movement of black British people during the 1990s.
>
> *Vron Ware and Paul Gilroy are also Hampshire parents - their son
> Marcus is an alumn.*
>
> Their presence is supported by IA Arts & Social Action Program,
> Creative Writing Program, Andrew Salkey memorial, The Office of
> Diversity and Multicultural Education,The Cultural Center, Center for
> Feminisms,Feminist Studies, Feminists United Collective, The Global
> Education Office, School of CSI- and others!

Paula Harmon, Administrative Assistant
School of Cognitive Science
Hampshire College
893 West Street Amherst, MA 01002