[CS] Today! TIMOTHY ZIMMERMAN, Ph.D., job talk for the Visiting Asst. Prof. of Cognition and Education position, Monday, March 25 at 4:00 in ASH Auditorium

Paula Harmon pharmon at hampshire.edu
Mon Mar 25 12:12:21 EDT 2013

Monday, March 25, Job Talk by Visiting Assistant Professor of Cognition
and Education Candidate
*Timothy David Zimmerman, Ph.D.*
http://gse.rutgers.edu/timothy_zimmerman

Talk Title: *"Inquiries into informal science and environmental
learning: A learning sciences approach to improve learning and inform
practice.**"*

Abstract:  Programs and exhibits at informal institutions often seek to
promote environmental awareness and yet little design or research in the
field of environmental learning leverages current learning theory or
research to achieve these goals. Using a range of qualitative and
quantitative methods that include design studies, museum studies, and
learning at the individual and socio-cultural level of analysis, I
investigate how we come to understand science concepts as they relate to
current, authentic environmental challenges (e.g., fisheries decline,
habitat destruction, climate change impacts). I also design learning
activities that bridge learning across formal and informal learning
contexts. Where possible, I leverage the findings from my work to inform
environmental decision-making and pedagogical practices within
environmental education broadly construed. In this talk, I present
research from three projects that explore learning in different
environmental science contexts.  First, I describe a recent study of
university students that employed "participatory action" methods during
ecology fieldwork in Mongolia. Second, I describe a study where middle
school science students engage in free-choice moments of marine science
meaning-making during a field trip designed to connect learning across
contexts.  Finally, I describe a museum-based study of individual
knowledge about interrelated scientific constructs, and discuss how
exhibits that target individuals with low incoming knowledge can help
improve both knowledge about marine science and attitudes about
conservation. For each of these studies, I describe the relevant
methods, the theoretical perspective regarding individual and
collaborative learning, and the connections between research and practice.

Biographical Information:  Timothy (Tim) D. Zimmerman, Ph.D. is an
Assistant Professor of Science Education at Rutgers University
http://gse.rutgers.edu/timothy_zimmerman   Jointly appointed in the
Department of Learning and Teaching and the Department of Marine and
Coastal Sciences, his research focuses on learning and teaching of ocean
and environmental science concepts. In particular, he seeks to
understand the nature of learning across formal and informal science
learning contexts by conducting learning sciences research during
informal learning experiences at aquariums, salt marshes and outdoor
environments in conjunction with the design and testing curricular,
programmatic and exhibit interventions. To achieve this, Dr. Zimmerman
combines qualitative and quantitative research methodologies to study
learning by students in middle school, high school and college, and the
general public, as they move spatially and temporally across
informal-formal learning context boundaries. He has developed marine and
environmental science curricula for, and conducted learning research in
conjunction with, several organizations and institutions including the
National Geographic Society, the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration, the Monterey Bay and New York Aquariums, and the
Massachusetts Audubon Society. He is currently PI of a 3-year NSF funded
($1.1 million) ITEST grant seeking to understand 21st Century learning
of ocean science concepts, and co-PI on two NSF grants (REU; IRES)
studying science learning during apprenticeship model research
experiences for students. He has also conducted field-based marine
biology, ecology and oceanography research. Dr. Zimmerman received his
Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley in science education,
an M.S. in marine biology from the College of Charleston, and a B.S. in
biology and marine biology from the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth.
--
Paula Harmon, Administrative Assistant
School of Cognitive Science