[CS] March 14: CS Wednesday Noon Talk, "Fear, politics, and leader selection: How our emotional state may influence what we look for in a president, " by Tom Cain, in the ASH Lobby

Paula Harmon pharmon at hampshire.edu
Thu Mar 8 11:27:09 EST 2012

"Fear, politics, and leader selection: How our emotional state may
influence what we look for in a president"

Abstract: Fear and anger are very similar emotions, yet they elicit
contrasting perceptions of risk. In general, fear leads to an increase
in risk perception, while anger leads to a decrease in risk perception.
This will be a discussion of whether we may seek to regain feelings of
certainty and control, when afraid, by seeking out an angry or
aggressive leader. Will fearful people seek out an angry leader as a
perceived (though not necessarily consciously) way to reduce fear? Will
a fear related political campaign lead people to find an
angry/aggressive presidential candidate more appealing? Scientific and
anecdotal evidence will be discussed.

Biographical statement: Tom Cain, visiting assistant professor of
psychology, received a Ph.D. in social psychology from Rutgers
University and a B.A. in psychology from DePaul University. He is
teaching CS-145 "Social Psychology of Stereotyping" this term. Tom is
currently interested in examining the ways in which fear may bias a
person's perceptions, judgments, and behavior. He is particularly
interested in how these biases may impact person perception.
Additionally, Tom has conducted research on, or has been generally
interested in, the psychological processes involved in political
affiliation, intergroup relations, and the willingness to commit genocide.

In the ASH Lobby
A light lunch will be available at noon
--
Paula Harmon, Administrative Assistant