[CommAdvocacy] Mon, Nov. 18: skill development for us

Community Advocacy communityadvocacy at hampshire.edu
Fri Nov 15 10:04:36 EST 2013

*Hello Community Advocacy students and staff:

This looks like a great skill-building session that would be helpful for
our work across Community Advocacy.  I'm attending. Join me?
Melissa

*

Want to learn some strategies for collaborative and inclusive problem
solving? Join us for snacks and a "brainswarming" workshop with Tony
McCaffrey, professor of Creativity and Innovation.

Brainswarming? Because Brainstorming Doesn't Work

Monday, November 18
12pm-1pm
Library Airport Lounge

Brainstorming has consistently been shown not to produce more ideas than
simply working alone and then having everyone share their ideas when
they come together. To counteract the social dynamics responsible for
brainstorming's poor performance, Tony McCaffrey has developed
Brainswarming, which borrows insights from how swarms of insects
successfully solve problems together.
Learn how to generate ideas together and utilize a special problem
solving graph that organically grows as contributions are added, and
finally becomes connected when the problem is solved. Ideal for any
situation where you would be tempted to use brainstorming.

Experiments in the Commons is a rotating series of events that bridge
academic and social life.
Every Monday we bring you something new.
Students, faculty, and staff welcome!

Snacks provided!

Learn more about this event series:
bit.ly/experimentsinthecommons

This event is on Monday, November 18th, 2013.
It is held at : Library Airport Lounge
This event starts at 1:00am.

This event is organized by : The Creativity Center

For more information visithttp://creativity.hampshire.edu
<http://creativity.hampshire.edu/>or E-mailcreativity at hampshire.edu
<mailto:creativity at hampshire.edu>

--
http://www.hampshire.edu/studentlife/communityadvocacy.htm
413.559.6846

Community Advocacy, a department of student life, incorporates multicultural and international student services (and the Lebron-Wiggins-Pran Cultural Center); queer services (and the Queer Community Alliance Center); spiritual life (and the Spiritual Life Center); wellness promotion (and the Wellness Center); and women services (and the Center for Feminisms).

Community Advocacy promotes the well-being of the entire campus community; fosters connections across social identities and ideas; and engages in passionate and compassionate dialogue and programs.

We support and provide resources for the holistic development of students with the goals of nourishing student initiatives; increasing awareness and appreciation of different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives; and encouraging understanding and mutual respect as we actively work towards social change.