[CommAdvocacy] Community Advocacy Council

Nia Akilah Rahman-Khan Arana nar09 at hampshire.edu
Fri Feb 24 14:11:33 EST 2012

Hello Community Advocacy Directors,
I'm writing to let you know of the meeting that will be taking place next week
Wednesday February 29th, 12:00-1:30(2:00) for the Community Advocacy Council in
the Staff and Faculty lounge in FPH. We hope that you have been thinking of
students who you wish to designate to serve on the council. Please at your
earliest convenience send us an email at nar09 or mtc09 with the names and
emails of the two designees.

Thank you!

- Nia and Maxwell, Community Advocacy Office

For a refresher on the goals and missions of this initiative we are including a
description of the council.

The Community Advocacy Council will allow students to spread information on
group events,
discuss and work on campus issues, and facilitate inter-group involvement.
The council is also responsible for proposing solutions and other conflict
resolution methods for identity based issues that may arise on Hampshire’s
campus. The council will serve as an event planning and channel of quick
response to identity-based emergencies that require dialogues or other
opportunities to create safe spaces for students.

The council will make recommendations for the community advocacy directors,
student centers and general community.

The council is comprised of two student worker representatives from the
following organizations: the Lebron-Wiggins-Pran Cultural Center; the Center
for Feminisms; the Queer Community Alliance Center; Spiritual Life; and the
Community Health Collaborative. Facilitation of the council will be held on a
weekly rotation basis.

We are looking to meet once a week on Wednesday from 12:00-1:30pm.
For students who are in work-study, a position as a group representative will
allot you more hours to enter into your time card.

It is our hope at community advocacy that this new group will help the Hampshire
College student body grow and allow for a stronger, interconnected, and
productive campus.