[CommAdvocacy] Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha comes to Hampshire College

Emily Rimmer erimmer at hampshire.edu
Fri Oct 21 16:14:42 EDT 2011

The Hampshire College Performing Identity Series continues with:
Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha

Monday October 24th 12:00pm-1:00pm
Center For Feminisms
Lunch for Women and Gender Queer Folk of Color with
Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha

Love Cake: A Spoken Word Poetry Performance

Monday October 24th 7:00pm
Main Lecture Hall, Hampshire College

In Love Cake, Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha explores how queer people of
colour resist and transform violence through love and desire. Refusing to
forget the traumas of post 9/11 Islamophobia, and Sri Lanka's civil war, Love
Cake documents the persistence of survival and beauty—especially the dangerous
beauty found in queer people of colour's lives. Piepzna-Samarasinha maps the
complicated, luscious joy of reclaiming the body and sexuality after abuse,
examines a family history of violence with compassion and celebrates the
beautiful resistance of queer of color love and home making.

FOLLOWED BY ...

Revolution Starts At Home: Activist Communities, Intimate Violence,
Transformative Justice Workshop

Tuesday October 25th 5:30pm-8:30pm
Faculty Lounge, Hampshire College

In this powerful, interactive workshop, we'll talk about the nitty-gritty issues
of partner abuse and sexual assault within our communities and discuss community
accountability and transformative justice strategies that can help us walk
towards building accountability, justice and violence free zones in our lives.

About Leah
Pushcart Prize nominee Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha is a queer disabled Sri
Lankan writer, teacher and cultural worker. The author of Consensual Genocide
and co-editor of The Revolution Starts At Home: Confronting Intimate Violence
in Activist Communities (South End, 2011), her work has appeared in the
anthologies Persistence: Still Butch and Femme, Yes Means Yes, Visible: A
Femmethology, Homelands, Colonize This, We Don’t Need Another Wave, Bitchfest,
Without a Net, Dangerous Families, Brazen Femme, Femme and A Girl’s Guide to
Taking Over The World. Her second book of poetry, Love Cake, is forthcoming in
fall 2011.

Sponsored by, Hampshire College's Anti-Sexist Feminist United Collective, Center
For Feminisms, Civil Liberties and Public Policy, Council on Community
Activities, Theater Board, Theatre Program, Queer Community Alliance, Queer
International People of Color, Feminist Studies

Emily Rimmer
Director for Women's and Queer Services
Hampshire College
413-559-5320