[CommAdvocacy] Slurring Words - a great talk to attend

Amnat Chittaphong achittaphong at hampshire.edu
Tue Feb 8 14:21:43 EST 2011

Dear colleagues,

I wanted to share with you an exciting event taking place at Hampshire
college in the evening of March 8. The School of Cognitive Science is
sponsoring a public talk by Prof. Ernie Lepore (Philosopher of Language
and Director of Cognitive Science at Rutgers University) entitled,
"Slurring Words", a version of which recently appeared in the New York
Times (see article here).

We feel fortunate to have such an influential scholar talk to us about
issues concerning language and race and sincerely hope that you will be
able to attend. The details of the event and the abstract for the talk
are provided below.

*****************************
When: Tuesday, March 8 @ 5:30-7pm
Where: Franklin Patterson Hall (FPH), West Lecture Hall

*******************************
*Slurring Words*

Slurs target race, nationality, religion, gender, sexual orientation,
politics, immigrant status, line of work and many other demographics.
They offend their targets – some more than others. Children who blurt
out slurs are scolded regardless of their ignorance; but not uncommonly,
targets appropriate slurs for themselves. My main questions are by which
mechanism do slurs derogate, why some more forcefully than others, and
how do targeted members succeed in mollifying some slurs?

A lacuna in the literature on slurs is the rarity with which their
offenses are specified. We are told little more than that they derogate,
belittle, disparage, or diminish, but never how. Explanatory options
here are, however, limited. We know a lot about how words achieve
efficacy; with that in mind, in what follows we will canvass
alternatives in the hope of illuminating the offensive nature of slurs.

The consensus view is that slurs, as a matter of convention, carry
negative attitudes towards targeted groups. Philosophers and linguistics
try to conventionalize the derogatory nature of slurs in natural
language. Some go so far as to claim that the facts surrounding their
linguistic distribution require an enrichment of our semantics and
perhaps even of our logic. Accounts run from what slurs semantically
express is offensive; to what they presuppose is offensive; to a tone
account – the subjective images slurs summon are offensive; to what they
linguistically display (but not what they describe) is offensive; and to
what slurs conventionally implicature is offensive. These accounts agree
that slurs carry offensive contents, but disagree over the mechanism of
implementation. My aim, however disheartening, is to deflate all these
efforts: no content, however conveyed, distinguishes slurs from their
neutral counter-parts (or other co-extensive slurs).

The positive view, in brief, is that slurs are banished words, not
because of any linguistic feature they exhibit or any content they
carry, but rather because they are on a list of prohibited words. This
leaves a slew of questions: what determines whether a word is on or off
the list, its position on the list; and why is it sometimes appropriate
to flout its prohibition?

--
Amnat Chittaphong
Assistant Dean of Students for Community Advocacy

HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE
893 West Street
Amherst, Massachusetts 01002
phone 413.559.5412 + fax 413.559.5663

I.C.A.R.E. Student Life Values @ Hampshire College
Integrity * Collaboration * A Just & Diverse Community
* Respect for All * Education

Community Advocacy is the name of the department in Student Life, which
includes Multicultural and International Student Services (and the
Lebron-Wiggins-Pran Cultural Center); Queer Student Services (and the
Queer Community Alliance Center); Women Student Services (and the Center
for Feminisms); Spiritual Life (and the Spiritual Life Center); and
Community Health and Wellness (and the Community Health Collaborative).

Community Advocacy at Hampshire College promotes the wellbeing of the
entire campus community, fosters connections across social identities
and ideas, and engages in passionate and compassionate dialogue and
programs.  We support and provide resources for the holistic development
of students with the goals of nourishing student initiatives; increasing
awareness and appreciation of different cultures, backgrounds, and
perspectives; encouraging understanding and mutual respect as we
actively work towards social change.