[Clusterusers] problem running lein/clojure jobs on fly

Lee Spector lspector at hampshire.edu
Tue Oct 2 17:58:11 EDT 2018

Mostly for Josiah, but sending to the list in case anyone else has insights.

Trying to run Clojure (via leiningen) on Fly for the first time in months, and getting errors.

This feels familiar, but I can't seem to find a past thread in which it was raised/addressed.

If I ssh to a node and cd into a Clojush directory and try to run a demo I get:

[lspector at compute-1-1 clojush-launcher]$ lein run clojush.problems.demos.simple-regression
Could not transfer artifact com.lowagie:itext:pom:2.1.7 from/to central (https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/): Received fatal alert: protocol_version
Could not transfer artifact org.apache.xmlgraphics:batik-svggen:pom:1.8 from/to central (https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/): Received fatal alert: protocol_version
Could not transfer artifact org.apache.xmlgraphics:batik-dom:pom:1.8 from/to central (https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/): Received fatal alert: protocol_version
This could be due to a typo in :dependencies or network issues.
If you are behind a proxy, try setting the 'http_proxy' environment variable.

Thinking that maybe I needed to upgrade leiningen I tried but got this:

[lspector at compute-1-1 clojush-launcher]$ lein upgrade
The script at /home/lspector/bin/lein will be upgraded to the latest stable version.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y

Upgrading...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (35) SSL connect error
Failed to download https://github.com/technomancy/leiningen/raw/stable/bin/lein (exit code )
It's possible your HTTP client's certificate store does not have the
correct certificate authority needed. This is often caused by an
out-of-date version of libssl. It's also possible that you're behind a
firewall and haven't set HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

 -Lee

Director, Institute for Computational Intelligence
Hampshire College, Amherst, Massachusetts, 01002, USA
lspector at hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/, 413-559-5352