[Clusterusers] problem running lein/clojure jobs on fly

lspector at hampshire.edu lspector at hampshire.edu
Sat Dec 8 12:02:08 EST 2018

Mostly for Josiah again, but some others here might have the same problem and/or a solution...

Subsequent to the old thread below Josiah upgraded Java and then everything seemed to be fine.

Today I tried to launch a batch of Clojush runs using its run-fly script, which talks to Tractor, and I got a similar error (see below). The error happens when leiningen tries to pull in the dependencies for the Clojure project from the web.

I believe that the upgrade made it work when launching a single run manually on a fly node, but not when launching a batch of runs via run-fly/Tractor.

"But wait!", you may say, "You successfully launched a whole bunch of batches of runs via run-fly/Tractor after the Java upgrade, and it all worked beautifully!"

Ah, but those were all with the same version of Clojush, with the same dependencies. I was testing things via single launches, and once one of those succeeded it stashed all of the retrieved dependencies in some local hidden directory, as it does, and when I subsequently launched batches of runs via run-fly/Tractor they all worked beautifully but only because it didn't need to fetch any dependencies.

Today, I was running with a newer version of Clojush, which has a few updated dependencies.

Piecing some of this together, I ssh-ed to a fly node and launched a single manual run, which I killed shortly after the dependencies had been fetched. Then I repeated my run-fly/Tractor launch and everything is now running fine.

I *could* jump through this hoop every time I hit this error, but it would be nice to make this work correctly.

Not sure where to look for a fix, but any fixes/pointers would be appreciated!

 -Lee

-- here's today's error:

[lspector at fly output]$ more /home/lspector/runs/20181208111011-9054/output/1.err
Retrieving cider/cider-nrepl/0.18.0/cider-nrepl-0.18.0.pom from releases
Retrieving nrepl/nrepl/0.4.4/nrepl-0.4.4.pom from releases
Retrieving nrepl/nrepl/0.4.4/nrepl-0.4.4.jar from releases
Retrieving cider/cider-nrepl/0.18.0/cider-nrepl-0.18.0.jar from releases
Could not transfer artifact org.clojure:tools.logging:jar:0.4.1 from/to central (https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/ <https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/>): Received fatal alert: protocol_version
Could not transfer artifact org.clojure:tools.logging:jar:0.4.1 from/to clojars (https://repo.clojars.org/ <https://repo.clojars.org/>): Received fatal alert: protocol_version
Could not find artifact org.clojure:tools.logging:jar:0.4.1 in releases (https://clojars.org/repo <https://clojars.org/repo>)
Could not transfer artifact org.clojure:tools.logging:pom:0.4.1 from/to central (https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/ <https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/>): Received fatal alert: protocol_version
This could be due to a typo in :dependencies, file system permissions, or network issues.
If you are behind a proxy, try setting the 'http_proxy' environment variable.