[Clusterusers] Switching to new keg

Wm. Josiah Erikson wjerikson at hampshire.edu
Mon Jun 22 17:08:34 EDT 2015

Great - I think we're all set to start everything up again.

This should be a huge improvement. Latest benchmark of 100 concurrent
jobs (60 random reads, 40 random writes, 1GB each in both cases)
resulted in an aggregate read speed of 54MB/sec, aggregrate write of
34MB/sec, and keg was still responsive during that. I was attempting to
approximately replicate the worst thing the farm could do to it. This is
where the new machine will shine compared to old keg - when we did that
to old keg, it would bring it to its knees, since it only had four
spinning drives in the RAID. We now have 14, and a much better RAID
controller to boot, as well as four times as much RAM.

In a test of six concurrent sequential-reads, I get an aggregate
bandwidth of 1273MB/sec, which is WAY more than we can push over the
network.

I'm excited. Test 'er out! :)

    -Josiah

--
Wm. Josiah Erikson
Assistant Director of IT, Infrastructure Group