[Clusterusers] Job Sorting Schemes

Wm. Josiah Erikson wjerikson at hampshire.edu
Fri Jun 28 13:55:59 EDT 2013

Just in case people are interested, we could also try playing with this
setting. We might want to try P+ATCL. We are currently using P+FIFO:

#
  # Job Sorting Schemes for Blade Assignment
  #
  # "P+FIFO" -- this is the default scheme for assigning available
  # blades to jobs, it always picks the job with the highest priority
  # value, and if there are several jobs with the same priority then
  # it selects the one that was spooled first.
  #
  # "P+RR" -- this mode schedules jobs of the same priority using a
  # simple "Round-Robin" approach:  jobs in the same priority block
  # are visited in a circular fashion as blades become available.
  # This mode can allow several jobs with many ready tasks to
  # progress simultaneously, favoring jobs with long-running tasks,
  # although it is not as predictable as the strict "P+FIFO" mode.
  #
  # "P+ATCL" -- Active Task Count Leveling, this mode also first
  # sorts jobs by strict priority, then within a group of jobs with
  # the same priority it prefers to assign available blades to jobs
  # with the fewest active tasks.  This mode tends to allocate roughly
  # the same number of blades to each job, while favoring older jobs
  # over newly spooled ones.  Given roughly equal numbers of blades,
  # jobs with short-running tasks will finish sooner than jobs with
  # long-running tasks, under this scheme.
  #
  # NOTE: Any scheduling mode other than P+FIFO will incur
  # extra computational expense during blade assignment, and
  # will therefore decrease system throughput by some amount.
  # The magnitude of the observed effect will vary depending
  # on overall job load, farm size, task mix, and engine host.
  #
  "JobSchedulingMode": "P+FIFO",

--
Wm. Josiah Erikson
Assistant Director of IT, Infrastructure Group