[Clusterusers] Re: now something seems really strange on fly

Wm. Josiah Erikson wjerikson at hampshire.edu
Mon Oct 15 10:43:10 EDT 2007

Lee (and others),
    I'm not sure yet exactly why, but here's the situation:

    -the "killed" breve jobs aren't showing up in cluster top
    -breve is still running on the nodes, taking up memory and putting
the load average up, but not using any CPU (according to top when you
SSH into the node)
    -the home directory missing issue is because the NFS server on the
head node has crashed. I restart it and everything is fine,  but why did
it crash? The logs show nothing.

    -all of this seems to only happen when we run breve. But why? I'm
not convinced that my ulimit stuff worked... in fact, I'm pretty sure it
didn't.

    I can't kill the breve jobs - they won't die, not even with a signal
9. I think I"ll have to restart the nodes to get them to behave again.

    Obviously, I've got my work cut out for me here :) I'll report
anything I figure out. I'm assuming for now that any breve jobs on the
cluster are junk, yes? I don't see any that are actually still using
CPU, meaning, I think, that you killed them but they didn't die.

-Josiah

--
Wm. Josiah Erikson
Computing Support