{InfoBar} IMPORTANT: Clarifying Key Loan Procedures

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Sun Apr 3 16:04:59 EDT 2022

Hello All,

It's come to my attention that some of you are fuzzy on how key
checkouts work.  I'm going to give you a refresher here, and either Matt
or I will follow up with you on your next shift to see if you have any
outstanding questions.

When a patron comes to the desk to borrow a key, they may ask for the
key number or for the name of the building/room it opens.  No matter how
they ask for it, the procedure for check out is always the same:

1.  Scan the patron's ID or bring up their record with a name search in
the Loan tab where you check out items.  Click on the 2nd tab over,
labeled Patron Notes.

2.  The Patron Notes tab will indicate which keys the patron is eligible
to borrow.  The keys are numbered for two reasons: a) to prevent staff
from blindly lending out keys without checking eligibility, because you
have to check the note to see what number key to check out, and 2) to
provide some security to the office or building the key unlocks, so that
if the key is dropped somewhere on campus, the person finding it will
not immediately know what room or building it opens.

3.  If the patron can borrow more than one key, the name of the building
will be listed in parentheses after the key number so that you know
which building is which.  Please see the attached document titled
MULTIPLE KEY PERMISSIONS.  You will notice that I gave myself permission
to borrow 3 different keys: the student diagnostic center on the 3rd
floor, the film/photo building, and the gallery.

4.  Pull the correct key from the key cabinet and check it out to the
patron.  Make sure the cursor is flashing back in the item box, or the
key may not check out.  Make sure you see the title of the key and the
key's due date in the bottom pane before hitting End Session.

5.  When the key is returned, make sure to check it in before putting it
back in the key cabinet.

6.  If you are trying to check out a key and you get the popup "Item
Cannot be Loaned.  Item is Already on Loan," this means that the key was
not checked in before being placed in the box.  If you are checking it
out to a new patron and you get this popup, make sure to check in the
key in the Return tab first, and then go back to the Loan tab to check
it out to the patron standing in front of you.

7.  PLEASE NOTE, THERE ARE 3 DIFFERENT SETS OF GALLERY KEYS (#105, 106,
AND 108).  This is because there are often 3 div III students exhibiting
in the gallery at a time.  Those students can borrow any one of those 3
key numbers, depending which keys are available when they arrive. You
will notice in my note in the patron record on the Multiple Key
Permissions attachment that I indicate that students can borrow 105,
106, OR, 108.

8.  If a faculty or staff member comes to the InfoBar and lets you know
that the gallery is locked but they would like to get in to see an
exhibit, you can check out any one of the gallery keys to them, even
though they will not have a key permissions note in their patron record.
 Sometimes a student's committee member will want to come and see a show
before the students have opened the gallery.

9.  If you ever forget where you look to see which key a patron can
borrow, Refer to the screen shot of the attached CHECKING KEY
PERMISSIONS PDF in the Patron Head Count Binder.

If you have any other questions about key loans please ask me or Matt
for help!

Thank you,

Pronouns: she/her/hers
Access Services Supervisor