{InfoBar} A few things about InfoBar reshelving carts

Sam Sharp ssharp at hampshire.edu
Sun Oct 31 17:57:27 EDT 2021

Hi All,

A few important things to keep in mind when you go to place a return on
a reshelving cart:

1) If a book has colored paper tape on the spine that says Reserves
(yellow), Open Reserves (green) or Personal (orange), this book _*does
not* belong on a reshelving cart_.

Instead, return it to the 4-hour reserves shelf behind the InfoBar if it
says "Reserves" or "Personal", and if it says "Open Reserves", place it
on the open reserves shelf beside the new book display.

2) If the text on a book's barcode sticker says "Hampshire College",
this book belongs to us, and, provided it isn't a reserve item, it
should be okay to place it (in order) on a reshelving cart. However, if
the text on this sticker indicates the book belongs to any other 5C
library, it doesn't belong on a reshelving cart.

Check the book in again to see if it is on hold for one of our patrons,
and if it is not, place it in the appropriate blue bin to send it back
to its home library.

3) Please be mindful of the fact that the call number range for a cart
(ex: A-HN) starts in the top left corner of one side of the cart and
ends in the bottom right corner of the other side. While generally part
of the range falls on one side and the other part falls on the other,
sometimes one side fills ups faster than the other, pushing the ending
or beginning of one side into the other side.

This means that _you may frequently need to check both sides of the cart
to make sure you're placing the book in the right spot_. This has been a
big issue with the last few carts I've seen, so if you need more
explanation, please let me know.

4) This applies to the reshelving carts but also just in general: If you
see a call number on a Hampshire College book that isn't currently in
use where at least one of the the characters of the call number is
unreadable, please bring me the book so I can fix it.

Thanks guys!
Sam

--

/Sam Sharp (she/her)
Access Services Associate: Evening Supervisor