{InfoBar} Checking Out/In Books With Book Jackets / Checking Out ILL Books

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Tue Oct 19 11:49:40 EDT 2021

Hello All,

You may have noticed that we leave the paper jackets on books that we
put on the New Book Shelf.  We do this in order to attract patrons'
attention to the new books.  When a patron comes to the desk to check
one of these books out, make sure to remove the cover just enough to
scan the item's barcode to check the book out.  You can leave the book
jacket on for that loan.  When the patron returns it, remove the jacket
entirely to scan the barcode to check the item in.  The book jacket can
then go in to one of the FREE boxes that is to the right of the InfoBar.
 We put the jackets in there so that patrons can use them for collages.

Every item owned by 5C library has to get checked out to a patron, so do
make an effort to find the barcode, and ask a supervisor for help if you
have trouble finding one.

ILL books, on the other hand, do not get scanned in Aleph.  Because they
have been received from libraries outside of 5C, they are checked out in
the ILLiad database.  That means that you do not have to and have no way
of checking the book out in Aleph.  ILL books are designated with a band
that completely surrounds the front cover of the book.  The due date is
marked and highlighted on that band.  All you need to do is desensitize
the ILL book, and then point out the due date to the patron when you
hand it to them.

Please check in with me, Matt, or Sam if you have questions about this
email.

Best,

Pronouns: she/her/hers
Access Services Supervisor