[Circulation] Working During Spring Break

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Thu Mar 12 15:08:34 EDT 2020

Hello All,

This morning I had a conversation with Janel in Student Employment about
work study in these unusual times.  You should all know that you are all
authorized to work through through the end of Spring Break, Sunday,
March 22.  After that comes the uncertainty.  Janel cannot say for sure
that students can continue working beyond that.  My interpretation would
be that students who are allowed to stay on campus would be allowed to
continue working, but until I hear that from her I cannot say that for
sure.  I asked specifically about students living off campus, and she
too is unsure if they will be allowed on campus to work.  Please know
that she was drafting a memo to Ed voicing concerns regarding work
study, but she really didn't know what kind of response she would get
back.  I will let you all know as I find things out.

For next week, I am allowing you to double up on shifts during Break if
you feel you did not sign up for shifts and feel you need some extra
hours.  Spring Break is normally very quiet, but we may be busier if
students don't travel and stay on campus.  Just know that we will put
you to work shelf-reading, and probably sanitizing touchable spaces
since our Facilities staff can't keep up.  We may also have scanning
work to do if faculty decided they need scans of some of their reserve
books.

Please let me, Olivia, or Sam know if you are interested in working next
week.

Thank you,

Suzanne

-