[Circulation] Time Cards Are Due / Last Required Day of Work / Fall Hours

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Fri Apr 26 13:23:20 EDT 2019

Hello All,

Please submit your TIME CARDS by Monday, 1:30 p.m.

THE LAST REQUIRED DAY OF WORK IS SUNDAY, MAY 12. If you plan to leave
campus before then, please post for subs for your shifts. You can
continue to work through Commencement if you wish, and I will post a
temporary schedule where you can sign up for shifts (on the bulletin
board outside the circulation office). The library will be open Monday -
Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. that week, and 10 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. on
Commencement. Only sign up for shifts if you are positive that you can
work them, please.

The library, like all other campus departments, is being asked asked to
make significant cuts to its budget for the next fiscal year. One way we
are going to save money is by reducing our library hours. OUR PROPOSED
FALL LIBRARY HOURS ARE:

MONDAY - THURSDAY, 8:30 A.M. - 8:00 P.M.
FRIDAY, 8:30 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.
SATURDAY, CLOSED
SUNDAY, NOON - 8 OR 10 P.M.

In planning for fall I need to know which students are planning to
return to work. For those not graduating, please tell me, when you know
for sure, if you will not be back to the library in the fall. I hope to
employ all returning workers, but I cannot guarantee that you will all
get 8 hours a week. I understand that some students may not be able to
continue working because your availability may not match the library's
open hours. I didn't want the change in library hours to come as a
surprise in the fall, and I wanted to give you notice in case you wanted
to explore other campus or off campus jobs. The Airport Lounge will be
locked when the library closes and the monitor positions there will be
eliminated in the fall. The academic deans have already approved these
new hours.

YOU SHOULD ALSO KNOW THAT THE LIBRARY HAS DECIDED TO NOT HIRE ANY
STUDENT WORKERS FOR THE SUMMER.  I do not currently know of any campus
department that is hiring summer students, but I will let you know if I
hear anything.

Please check in with me if you have any questions about the content of
this email. We always wait to cut library hours as a last resort, and we
did not make this decision quickly or easily.

Thanks, and have a good weekend.