[Circulation] Missing Envelope and Key Loans

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Mon Apr 2 18:21:50 EDT 2018

Hi All,

On Friday I put a MANILA ENVELOPE marked "For Karen, document left on
scanner" on the hold shelf, and I notified the owner (a non-Hampshire
patron) that it was here. She came by to collect it today and we cannot
find it. Does anyone know where it ended up? She still wants it if we
can find it.

Also, we are finding that STUDENTS ARE BEING LOANED KEYS WHEN THEY DO
NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO BORROW THEM. Please always check to make sure the
patron is authorized to borrow a key before checking it out. Some key
supervisors have me run reports showing who borrowed our keys, and we
look very careless when they see that we've ignored protocol and checked
out keys to unauthorized users.

LASTLY, IF A STUDENT COMES TO BORROW A KEY AND YOU DO NOT FIND IT IN THE
BOX, PLEASE DO LOOK IT UP AND TELL THE PATRON WHO HAS THE KEY CHECKED
OUT. It is not enough to just say "the key isn't here." I had an email
from a supervisor asking who had last borrowed a key. A student had come
asking for the monitor set on Sunday and was told it wasn't here, but
the InfoBar worker did not look up who had it checked out. Monitors in
other buildings have contact lists like we do, so if we identify which
of their coworkers has the key checked out they can call and contact
them to get the key back from them so that they can work their scheduled
shift. Key transactions are the only ones where we can break
confidentiality and tell a patron who has the item checked out. If you
don't remember how to check and see who has a key checked out, please
ask me or Tierra or Rachel for a refresher.

Thanks,