[Circulation] IMPORTANT: SOME NEW POLICIES AND SOME REMINDERS

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Fri Mar 31 12:09:19 EDT 2017

Hello All,

We want everyone working at the InfoBar to to give excellent customer
service while working their shifts. Below are some brand new policies,
and some reminders, regarding behaviors that we encourage, and some that
we absolutely do not want to see! Please review each item carefully.

_THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES TO NOT FOLLOWING THESE POLICIES, WHICH INCLUDE
WARNINGS THAT MAY LEAD TO TERMINATION, DENIAL OF WRITTEN
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR FUTURE EMPLOYMENT, AND DENIAL TO CONTINUE EMPLOYMENT
AT THE LIBRARY IN THE FALL. _

NEW POLICIES:

-EACH STUDENT IS ENTITLED TO ONE, FIVE-MINUTE BREAK PER SHIFT.
You are allowed one five-minute break, taken away from the Infobar, to
do whatever you want. You may go outside to have a smoke, grab something
to eat from the bridge, or chat with friends. YOU MUST CHECK IN WITH A
SUPERVISOR BEFORE TAKING YOUR BREAK IF THERE IS ONE ON DUTY!  If you are
working with another student but I, Natane, or Veronica are working at
our desks, you must come and ask us if it is ok for you to take your
break at that time. Just letting your coworker know is not ok.

-Eating is no longer allowed at the InfoBar.
No matter how small the snack, there will be no more eating behind the
InfoBar. Covered drinks are ok. If you want to enjoy a snack, ask to
take your break and eat it away from the InfoBar.

POLICIES THAT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IN PLACE BUT NOT ALWAYS FOLLOWED...

 -Be approachable.
While it is okay to do your schoolwork when there are no other
assignments, YOU MUST LOOK UP FROM YOUR WORK AS PATRONS APPROACH THE
DESK! Smile, nod, acknowledge their presence somehow. Besides being
friendly and approachable, we are doing this for security reasons to be
aware of who is coming in and out of the building.

-Discourage Your Friends From Visiting During Your Shift.
It is ok for your friends to say hello, but you are to continue to pay
attention to patrons who are passing by the desk. If you notice that a
person seems to need help, you are to stop your conversation immediately
and ask if you can help them. Chats at the desk should be 5 minutes or
less. It is up to you to remind your friends that you are working and
you will catch up with them later.

-ABSOLUTELY NO CELL PHONES / EARBUDS / HEADPHONES AT THE DESK.
 Your phone should be set to silent and you are not to text or play
games while on shift. If you are expecting an important phone call
during your shift, please let the staff person on duty know beforehand,
and leave the desk before answering the call. Likewise, earbuds or
headphones should never be worn at the InfoBar. You are permitted,
however, to wear them while shelving, shelf-reading, or pulling holds in
the stacks.

-No Wandering Off!
When you are sent off to do a task, like the head count, do it and
return to the InfoBar in a timely manner. Your time away from the desk
is not an opportunity to take another smoke break! Some students are
taking advantage and disappearing for a 20-minute head count and this is
not OK! Nor is taking off on a weekend shift and leaving your coworker
alone at the InfoBar for an extended period of time. We schedule 2
students on per shift for safety and security.

Thanks for helping us maintain a welcoming and responsive atmosphere at
the InfoBar. Please ask, Veronica, Natane, or Rachel if you have any
questions at all about the policies I've laid out here.