[Circulation] IMPORTANT: Please Read: What to Do if Campus Police Can't Close the Library

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Fri Nov 4 11:29:02 EDT 2016

Hello All,

Earlier this week students who were working the closing shift got a
phone call from Campus Police dispatch telling them that officers were
not able to come and close the building at midnight. Dispatch told them
to clear the floors and lock up and go, which they did. This was not the
correct decision on their part. The students should have remained in the
building at the InfoBar until Campus Police officers were able to come
and lock up, because you don't have access to a key that will fully
secure the building.

Please note that it is never ok to leave the library unattended!

If you are ever in this position, or if the person coming in for the
shift after you does not arrive, you are obligated to remain in the
building until officers or other students arrive. If you are not able to
stay, you grab the contact list from the bulletin board and start
calling people until you find someone who can relieve you. If you have
not already, please bookmark the link to the LIBGUIDE on your own
computer:
HTTP://LIBGUIDES.HAMPSHIRE.EDU/CONTENT.PHP?PID=434829&SID=3557894. The
contact list is kept there.

If there were a major campus emergency and Campus Police told you they
could not get to the building to secure it for several hours or
indefinitely, call me and I would potentially drive in and lock it down
myself. Please be aware it's going to take me a half hour to get here
though.

ANY TIME YOU ARE WORKING WITHOUT A SUPERVISOR AND YOU FACE A SITUATION
WHERE YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PROCEED, CALL ME! It doesn't matter if it
is midnight or 2am once the late shifts begin, I am always on call. I
would much rather you call me and ask for assistance than make the wrong
decision. My cell number is on the contact list as well, but you should
have it in your contacts too: 413-478-1619. I will not think poorly of
you if you do call me for help. And because of my schedule at the
restaurant, I am almost always still awake at midnight, so don't worry
about waking me!

I will be putting a blurb on the Libguide about this topic under the
Opening and Closing Procedures Tab as a reminder.

Thank you, and please do ask if you have questions about this email.