[Circulation] Fwd: [LibStaff] Fwd: Reminder! Eula Biss (95F) reads at Hampshire on Monday, February 16th, 4.00pm, Library Gallery

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Thu Feb 12 10:08:44 EST 2015

FYI, and we have 3 of her books on display on the counter opposite the
InfoBar. We are not circulating these books until after Eula's talk.

Suzanne

AWARD-WINNING WRITER AND HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE ALUM, EULA BISS (95F) WILL
READ FROM HER NEW BOOK, ON IMMUNITY: AN INOCULATION, AT HAMPSHIRE
COLLEGE, ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 16TH, 4 P.M. IN THE GALLERY OF THE HAROLD
F. JOHNSON LIBRARY. A Q & A AND BOOK SIGNING WILL FOLLOW.

 Named one of the ten best books of 2014 by the New York Time and other
major publications, On Immunity: An Inoculation investigates recent
controversies about vaccination and is garnering reviews that compare
her to Joan Didion and Susan Sontag. The book was just nominated for a
National Book Critics Circle award in criticism. Biss's second book,
Notes from No Man's Land won the award in 2009.

 Exhaustively researched, this book casts a wide net, drawing from
cultural studies, history, public health, medicine, science, politics,
mythology, literature, and Biss's own personal experiences, to explore
the often polarizing subject of inoculation. On Immunity: An Inoculation
represents a hybrid genre of her own making--personal essay/cultural
criticism/journalism, one that, for her, must necessarily reflect her
personal investment in the issue at hand.

 In a recent interview, she explains," There is cultural critique
happening in this book but it is emerging out of self-scrutiny. I'm not
a journalist looking at it from the outside, but an essayist looking
from the inside. I had something at stake. " Indeed, she is, in the
words of her editor, Jeff Shotts, at Gray Wolf Press, "a citizen
thinker."

 Biss's second book, Notes from No Man's Land, which explores race
relations in the U.S., won the National Book Critics Circle Award for
criticism in 2009. Her essays have appeared in Harper's, The Believer,
The Best American Nonrequired Reading and The Best Creative Nonfiction.
Her first book, The Balloonists, a collection of prose poems about
marriage and divorce that was largely based on her Hampshire College
Division III thesis, was published in 2002 soon after she graduated.

 A Guggenheim recipient, Biss has received fellowships from the Howard
Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts and she won the 21st
Century Award from the Chicago Public Library Foundation. With an MFA in
non-fiction writing from the University of Iowa, Biss is currently a
professor at Northwestern University.

http://www.eulabiss.net/ [4]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKOasW9yLfE [5]
http://www.salon.com/.../is_essayist_eula_biss_joan_didions_heiress_app