[Circulation] Please Do Not Misinform Patrons About Reserve Fines

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Fri Apr 24 13:19:11 EDT 2015

Hello All,

In the past week I've had several students come to me to dispute fines
for reserve items because they say InfoBar staff told them not to worry
about returning reserve items late. This is to let you know that we do
charge reserve fines of $5/day for reserve items. I've also heard that
patrons are being told that if they borrow reserve items at night they
can return them at any time the next day. That too is not true. Items
borrowed within the last 3 hours of closing are due back at 8:30am the
next morning. If the items are returned any later than that the patron
will be charged the $5 late fine. Please do not misinform students about
late fees. Billing questions should come to me (or Courtney or Bev). And
with reserves, please do remember to tell patrons when their items are
due. You do not have to give the exact time from the computer, but
rather, if the item is a 3 hour reserve, tell them "this item is due
back in 3 hours."

Thank you for your help with this, and please ask if you are not sure
what our fine policies are.