[Circulation] Time Cards Are Due and Other InfoBar News

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Fri Oct 3 12:12:11 EDT 2014

Hello All,

-TIME CARDS: Please submit your time card for hours worked through
Saturday by midnight, Sunday.

-CUSTOMER SERVICE: I realize that this is the time of the semester where
you are all bearing down on your school work, but you need to remember
that your primary responsibility when staffing the InfoBar is to be
friendly and helpful. IF YOU ARE DOING SCHOOLWORK AT THE INFOBAR YOU DO
NEED TO LOOK UP AND ACKNOWLEDGE PATRONS AS THEY GO BY. You are doing
this not only to provide good customer service, but also for security
purposes so that you know who is coming and going. Library assignments
will always come first, and any library staff person (but primarily
Suzanne, Courtney, and or Bev) has the right to give you a task at any
point during your shift.

-MEDIA BASEMENT KEYS: Though I have given the students on John Bruner's
media basement key list permissions to use Keys #109 and 110, be aware
that we only have Key #110 so far. John will give us #109 some time
later this semester, he just doesn't want students using the room that
#109 opens yet.

-GIMLET: I've been trying to talk to each of you individually to make
sure you have set up Gimlet accounts and are logging questions. If you
have questions about using Gimlet please ask me. Once you start using it
you will see just how useful the data we collect is.

-ORANGE RESERVE TAPE LABELED "PERSONAL": You should have noticed that
the personal reserves and the dvds on reserve are now tagged with orange
tape marked personal. This is to be a visual reminder that items with
this tape are to be put in order on the shelf by title as most are not
library owned. We are using this tape on library owned dvds as well
because they are shelved in order by title, regardless of whether they
are personal or library copies.

-RESHELVING SEYDEL BOOKS:  This is a reminder that books that belong in
the Seydel Reading Room have the word Seydel printed on top of the call
number, and the call number label is on the back of the book in most
instances. Please do not put Seydel books on the reshelving carts at the
InfoBar. Seydel returns may be placed on the Kael cart that is kept
outside the Circulation Office.

-KEEP THE KEY BOX ORDERLY: Please hang up keys in the key box after you
return them, and try to keep them somewhat in order. Do not stack keys
in the bottom of the box.

-STAMPING FIVE COLLEGE HOLDS: Make sure to change the date stamp before
stamping incoming 5C holds. We use the date to pull items that have been
on the holdshelf for more than 7 days. If you stamp yesterday's date on
the pull slip we are pulling books off without giving patrons the full 7
days to pick up their items.

-KEEPING THE STACKS NEAT: It is the responsibility of all of us to keep
our collections looking neat. This is a reminder to straighten up books
and pull the book end or W-wire snugly against books to keep them
standing straight up on the shelves. Not only should you be neatening
the stacks when doing stacks maintenance, but also any time you see
books falling over or gaps where books have been taken off the shelf.
This includes the hold shelf where you should be moving the W-wire after
taking books off the shelf. We need to pay extra attention to the Seydel
Reading Room, where the books are held up by book ends on both ends.

 Thank you all for your hard work so far, and I hope we continue to have
a successful semester.