[Circulation] Fwd: WRITER IN RESIDENCE JOHN MURILLO, APRIL 10-12 ***please spread the word*** please share with your students **** please come!*****

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Mon Mar 31 11:50:53 EDT 2014

Hello All,

Below are some events sponsored by the Creative Writing and Writing
Programs that you may be interested in attending.

Suzanne

Dear alll:

The Creative Writing and Writing Programs are thrilled to welcome poet
John Murillo to Hampshire as our WRITER IN RESIDENCE from April 10-12.

We would be enormously thankful for your help in spreading the word to
students, staff and faculty, and so happy to see you at some of the
events, which include: an informal talk about James Baldwin; a poetry
breakfast where students will perform their own work; and a generative
poetry workshop open to the entire Hampshire community. Please share!
Please come!

"Each generation must out of relative obscurity discover its mission,
fulfill it, or betray it." --Frantz Fanon

" I consider that I have many responsibilities, but none greater than
this: to last, as Hemingway says, and to get my work done. I want to be
an honest man and a good writer." --James Baldwin.

FRIDAY APRIL 11, 9:30-11:30 in the CULTURAL CENTER

POETRY AND BREAKFAST WITH POET AND WRITER-IN-RESIDENCE JOHN MURILLO

This event is open to the community. Come hear your peers share their
work! Come have breakfast and meet JOHN MURILLO (www.johnmurillo.com
[1]).

Co-sponsored by the Men of Color Alliance (MOCA) and the Creative
Writing and Writing Programs.

FRIDAY APRIL 11, 4 pm in the HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE LIBRARY, by the Div 3
Wall.

PAYING THE PRICE OF THE TICKET: THOUGHTS ON THE LIFE AND WORK OF JAMES
BALDWIN

An informal talk on poetic inspiration and commitments by this spring's
Writer-in-Residence, JOHN MURILLO (www.johnmurillo.com [1])

SATURDAY APRIL 12, 9:30-12, in EDH 2

GIMME THE LOOT! GIMME THE LOOT! HOW TO STEAL LIKE A POET

A *generative* poetry workshop with poet JOHN MURILLO
(www.johnmurillo.com [1]). Open to the Hampshire community - students,
staff and faculty. Make poems *there*. No need for a prior manuscript.
Please come! Please spread the news!

 JOHN MURILLO: John Murillo's first poetry collection, Up Jump the
Boogie (Cypher 2010), was a finalist for both the 2011 Kate Tufts
Discovery Award and the PEN Open Book Award, and was named by The
Huffington Post as one of "Ten Recent Books of Poetry You Should Read
Right Now." A graduate of New York University's MFA program in creative
writing, his other honors include a Pushcart Prize, two Larry Neal
Writers Awards, and fellowships from the Bread Loaf Writers Conference,
Cave Canem Foundation, the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown,
Massachusetts, the New York Times, and the Wisconsin Institute of
Creative Writing. His work has appeared in such publications as
Callaloo, Court Green, Ninth Letter, and Ploughshares, and is
forthcoming in Angles of Ascent: A Norton Anthology of African-American
Poetry. His choreo-play, Trigger, was commissioned by Edgeworks Dance
Theater and premiered in spring 2011.

Writing Programs and made possible by generous support from Christine
Lehner.

--
Nathalie Arnold/N.S. Koenings, MFA, PhD.
Associate Professor of Fiction Writing

Links:
------
[1] http://www.johnmurillo.com