[Circulation] Man Trespassed from the Library last night / Emergency Procedures

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Thu Feb 27 14:19:24 EST 2014

Hello All,

This is to let you know that one of our regular, presumed homeless,
patrons was trespassed from campus for watching porn and pleasuring
himself at a library computer.  He is an African-American man, in his
late 50's/early 60's, usually wearing a long tan coat.  He is usually
here at night although he is frequently here when we open the library.
  I am working on getting a trespass notice from campus police so that
I can share his photo.   Please know that I have had limited success
getting these from campus police but I haven't given up on trying.

WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO TAKE AWAY FROM THIS EVENT IS THAT
YOU SHOULD CALL CAMPUS POLICE ANY TIME A PATRON MAKES YOU OR OTHER
PATRONS FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE.  Go with your gut, if someone is saying
questionable things, acting weirdly, or doing anything that doesn't
seem right, call campus police dispatch at 5424 (413-559-5424).  You
may feel like it is unnecessary, but it is better to be safe than
sorry.  All that will happen is that officers will come over and
question the patron.  They will ask for identification and ask the
patron if they have a valid reason for being on campus.  If they do
not, they will be asked to leave.

I'm going to have more conversations with library staff regarding this
incident and library building security.  I want you to know that I am
joining the campus police advisory board on March 10.  Please let me
know if there are any issues relating to the library that you would
like me to address with campus police.

ph:  413-559-5762
fax: 413-559-5419

Follow the Library on Facebook: