[Circulation] HEAT IN THE BUILDING

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Sun Sep 15 10:27:01 EDT 2013

Hello All,

Patrons (and staff) have been complaining about how hot it has been in
the building.  If you encounter such patrons, please explain to them
that we have no control over the temperature of the building.  It is
controlled by the physical plant and they are aware that the building
is hot.  The dehumidifiers that are running in the building give off
some heat, and the big one behind the library brings in outside air
that is warm.  Our HVAC system simply cannot keep up to keep the
building cool.  We are sorry it is uncomfortable, we don't like
working like this either, but the physical plant is working with
experts who will evaluate our HVAC system to see how it can be
improved.  The dehumidifiers are in place only as a quick fix to stop
the mold growth.  Please feel free to offer this explanation to
patrons, and if anyone complains about the building conditions in any
way please direct them to me or our director, Jennifer King
(jgkLO at hampshire.edu).

Thank you,

ph:  413-559-5762
fax: 413-559-5419