[Circulation] REMINDERS ABOUT BEHAVIOR AT THE INFOBAR

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Sat Sep 14 11:45:48 EDT 2013

Hello All,

When you are staffing the desk, you are representing the whole Library
staff.  It is important that you act in a professional and courteous
manner to all patrons.  Please be present and aware of who is in the
Library while you are working at the desk.  Avoid getting buried in your
reading.  Look up and acknowledge patrons as they enter the building.
This is for security and customer service purposes.

Below is my list of DON'T BEHAVIORS that I do not ever want to see at
the InfoBar.  Though you may be working during shifts when there are
no supervisors on duty this does not give you the right to break these
"rules."  These are expectations for any and all shifts.  That being
said, please do not:

   - Wear headphones or earbuds at the InfoBar.

   - Engage in long conversations with friends or classmates.  This makes
   patrons feel that you are busy and they will not want to approach.  You
   are responsible for discouraging your friends from lingering at the
   desk.  Likewise, they should not be sitting at the InfoBar stools
during your
   whole shift, nor should they ever be behind the circulation desk.

   -Eat a full meal at the front counter.  If there is another student on
   duty and you must eat during your shift, eat quickly in the circulation
   office or at one of the study tables.  If you are the only person on duty
   ask me, Bev, or Courtney to watch the desk while you have your meal.
   When you are the absolutely only person on duty, like on the
weekends, eat at
   one of the small tables next to the desk, or if those are being used, move
   to the counter beyond the InfoBar so that you have a view of the desk but
   are not using the main part of the counter.

   -Sit slouched over and/or with your feet in the return bin.

   -Use your cell phone.  This means no talking AND no TEXTING while at
   the desk.  Please silence your phone when your shift begins.  If you
   must  make or accept an important call during your shift please tell me,
   Courtney, or Bev ahead of time and then go outside of the Library for
   your  call.

Thank you and please ask if you have questions about this email.

ph:  413-559-5762
fax: 413-559-5419

Follow the Library on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/hamplibrary