[Circulation] Fire and Emergency Procedures

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Tue Oct 22 11:42:01 EDT 2013

Hello All,

I've recently become one of the library's building safety liaisons so
I've had  conversations with Lori Smith, the Assistant Director of
Environmental Health and Safety for the campus regarding the library.
Here are some more reminders about building emergencies:

-During a fire, call campus police and then leave the building at the
nearest exit.  You are not responsible for clearing patrons from the
building.  You MUST exit the building any time a fire alarm sounds or
you are instructed to do so by campus police.  The meeting place for
library staff is the library lawn in front of the building.  When I am
here I will do a roll call of all library staff and student workers.
In the evening, meet up with Courtney in front of the building.  You
will need to remain outside until campus police tells you it is ok to
the ground floor and alarmed it is an emergency exit and you can get
out because the doors within the stairwell open by pushing the panic
bar.

-Fire extinguishers are only in place to aid in escape.  It it is
nobody's job to extinguish a fire. It is everybody's job to get out of
the building safely and alert others by yelling, and pulling the alarm
if one is nearby.  Fire extinguishers should only be used if the
person has been trained, the fire is extremely small, he/she knows
exactly what is burning, and Campus Police have already been summoned.

-There are only 3 fire alarm pull stations in the building: 2 on the
ground floor (outside Duplications and the Post Office, respectively),
and one outside the 3rd floor computer lab.

-I will be at some point meeting with other building safety liaisons
to talk about how we can better spread the word about fire and
building safety on campus.  If you have opinions about this with
regard to our building or any other building on campus please let me
know and I will bring your feedback to the group.

Thank you and please contact me with questions about building safety.

ph:  413-559-5762
fax: 413-559-5419

Follow the Library on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/hamplibrary