[Circulation] Some IMPORTANT Reminders About Staffing the Desk

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Wed Mar 6 09:59:09 EST 2013

Hello All,

I realize that you get a lot of emails from me but there are a lot of
you and I can't reach all of you any other way.  Of all the
correspondence I will send you this is one of the most important and
should be read from beginning to end.  Here are some reminders about
protocol and procedure while staffing the InfoBar:

KEY BOX: The code is 8537, turn the  knob all the way to the right to
open.  Please hang the keys up - last week the box jammed because
there were too many keys laying down and I just barely got the box open!

PHONE:  Only the phone on the counter works.  It accepts calls for
both the Circulation Desk and InfoBar.  When it rings, one of the
bottom right will flash.  Pick up the handset and press the button
that is flashing to answer that line.  The library staff directory is
on the front of the white binder under the sensitizer.  To transfer a
call, press the Trans/Conf button and dial the extension of the staff
person you are transferring the call to.  The phone has been now set
to ring indefinitely instead of stopping at 3 rings.

CHATTING WITH FRIENDS AT THE INFOBAR:  Please discourage friends from
visiting you at the InfoBar. Very brief conversations are ok, but
anything longer makes you look unapproachable to patrons.  This rule
is in effect when supervisors are in the building and when they are not!

LEAVING THE DESK UNATTENDED: This shouldn't happen!  You should remain
at the desk until the person relieving you comes in.  If there is a
staff person in the circulation office and you must leave, please tell
us so that we can either put the bell out or come to staff the desk.
If you are working with another student and you need to be away from
the desk, communicate with each other so the desk is always covered.
Likewise, if you are the one coming in and will be late, even by 5
minutes, please be considerate and call the circulation desk
(413-559-5440) so that the person on before you knows that you are on
your way.

SMOKE BREAKS:  These should be brief!

BOOK RETURNS:  Please check in books as they are returned.  Do not let
them pile up and then check them in at the end of your shift.

RESERVE BOOKS FROM OTHER LIBRARIES:  Lately some Amherst Reserve items
have been returned to our library by our students.  These items do not
need to come to Bev, they may be placed on the Amherst return shelves
to be packed for five college delivery.  It is ok for patrons to
return 5C reserves here, but ideally they should return them to the
library they borrowed them from so they are then available immediately.

PERSONAL BELONGINGS LEFT BY PATRONS:  If a patron has left behind
something that has their name in/on it, their ID, a flash drive...
please email the patron to tell them the item is here.  There is an
easy way to do this in Aleph.  Find their record in the check out tab.
  On the far right of the screen is a yellow envelope, click this to
generate an email to the patron.  All you have to do is type the
subject and body of the message.  The email is addressed to the
patron, and the reply to address is the generic library account.  If
the patron replies to the message it comes to me.  Important items
like keys and phones should not be kept.  Please call Campus Police,
the non-emergency number X-5424, to ask for an officer to pick up the
item.

Thank you and please contact me if you have questions, comments, or
concerns about this email.

ph:  413-559-5762
fax: 413-559-5419

Follow the Library on Facebook: