[Circulation] LIBRARY BLOG AND TEMPORARY SPRING BREAK SCHEDULE

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Tue Feb 26 10:52:34 EST 2013

Hello All,

LIBRARY BLOG
We would like to be receiving posts for our library blog, The Harold,
has anyone started writing one yet?  You should be working on posts
while you are staffing the desk.  I've forwarded Rachel's email with
specifics about the blog posts at the end of this message.  I don't
know if I made a formal announcement about this, but all circulation
student workers are now considered InfoBar students.  If you
disregarded Rachel's email because you considered yourself a
circulation worker and not an InfoBar worker, please know that you ARE
expected to contribute blog posts as well.   We look forward to
reading your posts about This Book, This Film, and This Sound.

TEMPORARY SPRING BREAK SCHEDULE
I've posted the temporary spring break schedule on the bulletin board
behind the circ desk.  Please take shifts on it only if you are
positive that you can work them.  Work is optional Monday, 3/18 -
Friday, 3/22.  You can select your own shifts, I'm not drawing them
in.  During the week the library's hours will be Monday - Thursday,
8:30am-10pm and Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm.  Work will be required again
with regular hours on Sunday, 3/24.

RESEARCH HELP
One of your coworkers yesterday asked if they should know anything
more about research help now that the students trained to give
research help do not necessarily work in the evenings anymore.  If you
are not able to help a patron with research help, remember these two
things:  direct them to the Research Materials by Subject link on the
library homepage and encourage them to reach out to their school
librarian.  If a student doesn't know who their school librarian is
they will find out once they click on one of the subject links.  The
librarians' contact information is listed there as well.  This is a
link to the libguides (subject guides):

http://libguides.hampshire.edu/browse.php

FORWARDED MESSAGE FROM RACHEL RE: POSTING TO THE BLOG:

Greetings, Infobar students!

We wanted to drop you a note about a new project we'd love for you all
to contribute to. The Library has a new Wordpress blog - The Harold -
that we're very excited about, and we want some content from you! We
would like for each of you to write a post about something you found
amazing or interesting or useful in the library. In particular we have
three categories - This Book, This Film, and This Sound. We'd like you
each to write one post every other week during your shifts- but if you
want to promote and write about more, we are more than happy for you
to do so!

The format for your post will be chatty and light, around 300 words
(or enough to get the idea across and get people interested). If you
want to include an image, feel free!  (We have to be aware of
copyright for images, but we will review posts before they go "live").
   We also have stock images which we can attach if needed.  The
workflow will look something like: you write a blog post, submit it
for review, and Andrew, Rachel, or Thea will accept it and queue it
for publication.

We have pasted some examples below to give you an idea of what we are
thinking.  Look out for an invite as a Contributor to the blog in the
coming week. If you haven't received an invitation by the end of the
week, send a note to Thea (taLO at hampshire.edu) and she will set you
up. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks so much,
Rachel, Andrew and Thea

Example blog posts:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/library-pick-of-the-week

http://wvlibrarycommission.blogspot.com/2012/04/staff-pick-of-week_16.html

http://wakebookaday.wordpress.com/

http://pinterest.com/biblioecstasy/fiction-pick-of-the-day/

http://www.odysseybks.com/staff-picks

Thank you and please contact me with questions.