[Circulation] Printing Hints

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Sat Sep 8 09:48:43 EDT 2012

Hello All,

Please excuse the cross-posting, I wanted to reach everyone.  Some
observations and hints if students have trouble printing:

-Some returning students are used to the free printing and do not wait
for the log in box before heading to the printer - if a patron tells
you their job didn't print make sure they did log in after sending the
job.

-Some documents are formatted for A4.  Putting paper in the bypass
tray on the left side of the copier is usually the solution and the
job will print.

-If you want to see if a job is pending, press the Job Status button.
Any time the first job says "Held" all subsequent jobs will not print.
  Check the paper trays first to make sure they have paper.  It could
also mean the patron has run out of credits.  If you can't figure it
out click the highlighted job and press delete so that that job does
not hold up the rest sent to that copier and  have the patron send it
again

-Paper has been moved to the shelves at the beginning of the personal
reserves so it is more accessible for students working in the 3rd
floor lab.

-Non-Hampshire patrons are not able to create accounts with our new
print system.  We have $1 value cards with previously created
usernames and passwords printed on them at the desk for now.
Ultimately we will be selling these cards and accepting cash for them.
  For this weekend, if any non-Hampshire patron needs to print give
them one of the cards and let me know about it.  The Business office
has not yet set us up with petty cash.  Also, IT is working on the
credit card module that will allow students or other patrons to add
value to an existing account.  I will tell you more as these
possibilities are enabled.  Hampshire students who use their $25 quota
will also need to buy more value by either of the 2 described methods.

-The first time a patron copies they may swipe their onecard (ID) .
They will get a message that they do not exist in the system.  They
then need to use the keyboard to log in with their username and
password to authenticate themselves.  After that they may just swipe
to copy.

-Please be aware that some students are having trouble logging in to
copy because they are including the "@hampshire.edu" to their
usernames.  Please make sure they are only using their username and
not full email to log in.

So far the problems we've seen have been misunderstandings of the new
system.  Please let me know if any other issues arise.  More
information will follow.

Thank you,

ph:  413-559-5762
fax: 413-559-5419