[Circulation] RETURNS AND CARTS

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Sat May 8 11:23:42 EDT 2010

Hello All,

We're nearing the end and returns are flying in.  Here are some updates and
reminders about dealing with the deluge:

-I lowered the tag for Smith returns so that we now have 2 shelves for Mt.
Holyoke returns.  It is still fine to do as you have been and put MHC returns
on the shelf below the ILLs as well.

-I'm finding a lot of Hampshire books on the carts with labels that are
unreadable or peeling off.  Please put HC books that need repair on the
designated shelf (the one that is at the bottom of the ILL range).

-When shelving, please take up half carts first.  If you begin a full one and
can't finish it, please bring it back down to the circ area so that we are
aware that it needs to be finished.

-I've tagged zones below the windows where the overflow of Amherst, Smith, and
Mt. Holyoke books should be piled.  Please try to keep the institutions
separate - it makes packing the boxes a whole lot easier.

-When dealing with many returns at the desk, it is more efficient to sort them
by institution and then check in each pile.  I also prefer that you sort on the
main counter, and then move books to the right near the sensitizer once they are
checked in.  That way, if you are interrupted, you know what's been checked in
and what hasn't.

-Please continue to double-check carts, and don't forget about shelving cds.
Any carts that are pushed out of the circ area have been double-checked.  If we
run out of room and need to keep full carts behind the desk, please mark them
with notes indicating that they are ready to go.

Again, thank you for a great academic year!