[Circulation] ASKING FOR IDS AT THE DESK

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Tue Nov 4 14:22:43 EST 2008

Hello All,

We are done babying our patrons.  We are now making an effort to get patrons to
use their IDs when borrowing library materials.  For this last part of the
semester, if a patron doesn't have their ID, we will look them up by name with
the warning that they need to bring their ID next time.  Next semester, any
patron who doesn't have an ID will not be allowed to borrow.  Not only does
this comply with 5 college borrowing policies, but it also saves wear and tear
on our hands since scanning an ID takes less effort than typing in a name.
I've sent messages to the library blog and the intranet announcements so this
should not come as a surprise to our patrons (the ones who pay attention
anyway).  Patrons complaining about the enforcement of this policy can come and
see me.