[ASL] ASL Spring Semester!

Amy Hambidge aah09 at hampshire.edu
Mon Feb 7 13:49:30 EST 2011

Hello everyone!

Hope you all had a wonderful winter break, and hope you are having an even
better start to the semester, staying warm and safe on all the ice!  This is a
somewhat long email, but it's all important and I promise the rest will be
shorter!

First things first- we have two new signers, Elisabeth and Megan.  Yay!  They
are awesome signers, in many senses of the word!

Next, ASL Lunch!  Whoot!  Starts THIS Wednesday, February 9th, 12-1pm in the
back room of Hampshire Dining Commons (Saga).  We have a sign, it's hard to
miss us.  If you're on the meal plan, sweet.  If you're not, no problem!  There
will be a sign in sheet at the front desk.  Just tell Roberta that you are there
for the ASL Lunch and if she gives you a hard time, let me know :).
I know not everyone can make it to lunches on Wednesdays, so we'll see how the
semester goes and see if there's a day that works better.

Until then, there are events to keep you happy.  There is an ASL performance
coming up at Smith College- CJ Jones!  Last I heard, this was March 2nd at 7pm.
 I'll send more info when I get it.  Also, at the bottom of this email is info
on an ASL interpreted play in Acton, MA, on April 2nd.  Hopefully we can get a
car or two full and make it a party.

Lastly, because it is hard for everyone to make it to the socials/lunches, I'm
thinking we should have more dinners/socials/hangouts on other days and
possibly weekends.  At the moment, I'm thinking brunch on a Saturday or Sunday
and less formal movies (because I learned a cool new trick that could get us
funding for such shenanigans!).  Let me know if you have an idea/want to help
plan an ASL day.

I think that's all for now!  Phew!  Have a great week, see you Wednesday!
Peace,
Amy

Here's the play info:
Hi, my name is David Cass.  I am a board member of Open Door Theater
in Acton, MA.  We are a non-profit community theater group that
produces one full-scale musical each year in the spring.   Since our
founding in 1980 our philosophy has always been to create learning
experiences through theater for adults, children, and people with
special needs. To help further this mission, each year during the run
of our show, we present one performance with a simultaneous and
artistic ASL interpretation. The interpreted performance not only
allows hearing impaired individuals to enjoy the production, but
provides exposure to the artistry of American Sign Language to all
audiences.

This year we are pleased to present “Once on this Island” a Tony
nominated Broadway musical with a Caribbean theme.  This engaging
musical tells the story of a peasant girl who rescues and falls in
love with a wealthy boy from the other side of the island.  “Once On
This Island” will run from April 1-10, 2011 at the Dragonfly Theater
at R.J. Grey Junior High School in Acton.  We have hired Gabrielle
Weiler and Evelyn Shields, both NIC Certified American Sign Language
interpreters, to perform during the Saturday, April 2nd matinee at
2:00 pm.

We would be happy to work with you if a group from your organization
would like to attend the ASL-interpreted performance.  We are pleased
to offer a discounted rate for group sales of 20 or more tickets.
Additionally, if your organization is interested, we can discuss the
possibility of a back stage tour for your group and/or a chance to
meet with the interpreters and some of the actors.  If you would like
to arrange for group tickets, please let me know. Individual tickets
can also be purchased as of March 6th online via www.MKTix.com (if
you’d like to take advantage of the ASL-interpreted programming be
sure to purchase tickets for the April 2nd matinee performance, and
add a note to that effect so that we can be sure to provide seats that
have the best view of the interpreters).

Please see our website at http://www.opendoortheater.org for
additional information about us, or for more information about “Once
On This Island.” If there are other organizations that you know of
that might like to participate, please either forward this to them, or
let me know, I would be happy to contact them directly. Thank you for
your time and we hope to see you at the theater!

Sincerely,

David Cass
Vice President
Open Door Theater