[ASL] Technical Sign Dictionaries

Andrew Kenneth Pidkameny akp04 at hampshire.edu
Tue Dec 25 20:47:14 EST 2007

Hey everyone,

I know this isn't going to be of interest to everybody, but I always like to
share interesting or potentially useful ASL-related webpages I find... So here
are three.

embeOUTREACH American Sign Language Library
http://www.needsoutreach.org/Pages/sl.html
Has technical/educational signs in 10 different subject areas including Physics,
Geography, History, Biology, and Mathematics. The videos are high-quality and
the signer is very clear (and good-looking!).

Signs for Technical/Specialized Vocabulary by David Bar-Tzur
http://www.theinterpretersfriend.com/tech/vocab/a.html
The webpage is not designed very well, and there are descriptions of the signs
instead of videos, but there is a fairly substantial collection of signs for
scientific/technical terms here. Apparently you can order a CD-ROM version of
this dictionary as well (with video).

Science/Mathematics Sign Lexicon from RIT
http://www.rit.edu/~comets/pages/lexicon/
This is a good-looking dictionary page organized by English gloss, with videos
for each sign. Some of the videos didn't work for me, but the site does have a
cool feature where you can rate the signs for accuracy (if you regard yourself
as an authority in the subject).

I hope everyone is having a very merry Non-Denominational Celebration Season. I
know I am.

~Drew