[ASL] ASL poetry- Flying Words Project

Kaitlyn Millen kmillen at hampshire.edu
Wed Feb 8 15:01:19 EST 2006

Dear Signers and ASL enthusiasts,

Another student, Debbi Rotkowitz and I are organizing for a Deaf performance
group to come to Hampshire. There is a group, “The Flying Words Project”
that consists of two men (one Deaf- Peter Cook, one hearing- Kenny Lerner).
One signs while the other voices while they perform American Sign Language
poetry together. They are known world-wide for their absolutely AMAZING
performances that can be appreciated by all- hearing and deaf, signers and
non-signers.

Our main goal is to bring Deaf awareness to Hampshire and the five college
community, as well as the community surrounding the colleges. This can be
done through the performance itself as well as through (hopefully) Deaf
community members in the audience. This performance is projected for April
15th this spring. We would like members from each of the five colleges to
get involved with this, so it would be great if we could get the help of
some Mt. Holyoke, Smith, Amherst, and UMASS community members. Particularly,
we need help with fundraising and advertising. If we can get at least one
person from each of the campuses, we can apply for a 5 college grant, which
would hugely help with our fundraising. We will be creating a funding
proposal and posters etc. but we need help with sending these things out at
other campuses. Also, if anyone would like to be more involved with
organizing the event, we would love more help with that too.

If you would like to help (even if it’s just to put up a couple of posters)
please let me know! Or, I will be at the meet-up in the Haymarket Café in
Northampton Thursday night at 6:30pm so you can see me then about it.

Kaitlyn Millen

Hampshire College Box 153

Amherst, MA 01002

413-559-4944

kmillen[at]hampshire.edu (this is to protect against spam since this is a
public list)