[ASL]ASL 1 at Hampshire has openings

Laura Vitkus lvitkus at hampshire.edu
Fri Jan 21 13:26:00 EST 2005

OPEN TO ALL FIVE COLLEGE STUDENTS

We still have room for more in the ASL, Level 1 class being offered
this spring at Hampshire College.  You will be able to register for it
after Monday, January 24.  If you are interested, please e-mail the
professor Ruth Moore at rpmoore at hampshire.edu as soon as possible.  If
not, help us spread the word!

American Sign Language, level 1
Course # : IA- 123, crosslisted wih LS (language studies)- 123
(This can fulfill the Div. 1 IA requirement.)
Tue/ Thurs. 9-10:20 am
Taught by Ruth Moore (who is amazing!)

American Sign Language, Level I: This course introduces the third most
widely used language in the United States and Canada. It is intended to
give an overview of both the language and the culture of the deaf
community. Emphasis will be focused on learning basic grammatical
structure as well as developing receptive and expressive signing skills
using in everyday conversation, also being able to give a skit in
American Sign Language. Cultural aspects of the Deaf community will be
shared through readings, videotapes and class discussion.
EXP,MCP,QUA,REA, PRJ,PRS,WRI

This is very exciting, as at least for the past few years, no ASL
courses have been offered among the 5 colleges, aside from one every
year at Smith that is part of the graduate program in Deaf Education
and usually does not have space for 5 college students.